PrepositionBuilder™ is designed to help elementary aged children learn the correct use of prepositions and learn how prepositions can change the meaning of a sentence.
PrepositionBuilder™ uses visual imagery to model and teach the meanings of prepositions. Research indicates that children with language deficits benefit from instruction that includes visual support and demonstration. Preposition Builder teaches how prepositions change the meaning of a sentence by presenting images that match the preposition selected by the student. When students provide a correct response, they are verbally reinforced as they continue to view the matching sentence and picture on the screen. When students choose an incorrect response, they receive a verbal explanation as the image changes to demonstrate the difference between what was said and what was chosen. Instructional time is therefore maximized in Preposition Builder, as students receive visual and verbal feedback for both correct and incorrect responses.
Prepositions are broken up into 9 modules of 3 related prepositions. There are 27 sentences for a student to complete. To complete a module the student must correctly form each sentence on their first attempt. Once a student completes a module, they unlock a short animation that is part of a larger story. They must complete all the modules to see the entire story.
PrepositionBuilder™ was tested over a 5 month period by 12 SLPs. Clinicians reported immediate observable gains in their students’ comprehension for specific prepositions in response to the visual corrections they received while engaged in the activity. Preposition Builder was released in September of 2011, and since that time SLPs and other educators have reported that regular use of this app has led to measurable progress on IEP goals addressing the understanding and use of targeted prepositions.
Once a student completes a module, they unlock a short animation that is part of a larger story. They must complete all the modules to see the entire story.
PrepositionBuilder™ offers a rich and fun way for all students to learn proper preposition use.
- Simple and intuitive drag and drop interface to build sentences.
- 9 preposition modules including the 28 most common prepositions
- 300 images to build sentences around
- Record feature allows students to record completed sentences in their own voice
- Recordings can be archived and emailed for later play
- Each student has their own archive page
- Optional correct sentence audio re-enforcement
- Statistics to track individual students progress
- 11 animations for the student to unlock during play. Each animation tells part of a larger story.